The FLUID Diversity Mentoring Programme
Would you like to progress your career in the construction sector? Are you a student or practitioner in construction? Do you have the commitment and enthusiasm to commit to mentoring? If the answer to these questions is yes then the FLUID programme may be for you.
What is FLUID?
Welcome to the FLUID Diversity Mentoring Programme, an innovative scheme designed to address the retention and development of talented practitioners from diverse backgrounds for management and leadership roles in the built environment.
Who is FLUID for?
This project facilitates the linking of volunteer mentors and mentees from across the construction industry to work on a one to one mentoring partnership to enable the support and development of the mentee. Construction professionals at a variety of career stages are encouraged to take part.
The programme has been developed to address the under-representation within management and leadership structures in the built environment sector, with particular but not exclusive focus on:
- People from black and ethnic minority backgrounds
- People with disabilities
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT)
- Those from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds
How does FLUID work?
Volunteers are asked to commit to the scheme for 12 months, typically volunteers need to spend 4 hours per month communicating with their mentee via face-to-face meetings or virtual means.
How you can get involved?
FLUID is proud to be sponsored by Make Architects, EPR Architects and Expedition Engineering, we are supported by the Royal Institute of British Architects, Architects for Change, the Construction Industry Council, National Association of Women in Construction and Build Studios.
If you would like to become a partner, sponsor or volunteer mentor, please email Danna Walker, Founder of Built By Us.
Applications for the 2018-2019 cohort will open in June 2018.
- I live outside London in the UK can I take part? Yes, we welcome applications from built environment professionals from across the UK and we encourage participants who are not based in the same region to meet virtually if at all possible.
- I’m not an architect can I take part? We welcome applications from all built environment professionals including surveyors, engineers, planners, project managers, environmental engineers and others.
- Can I apply to be both a mentor and mentee? Yes, you can.